Re: [tlug] RE: Response to pretty much all the copy right and liscense posts in the last who knows how long.

Fergal Daly writes:

 > By "deploy" you mean that the software is on company servers but used
 > by customers for example.

That's right.

 > I wonder what these licenses you refer to say about internal
 > deployment.

Various things, but the FSF won't certify a license that puts
restrictions on internal deployment to the best of my knowledge.  The
Apple Public Source License is controvesial because of its deployment
clause.  The FSF says it's nonfree, but the OSI certified it as an
Open Source License.  The FSF rationale is on the GNU home page.

 > The GPL FAQ says internal distribution within a company is not
 > distribution for license purposes - the employees are not entitled
 > to source code if the company gives them the binary.

That's only true if the company makes an attempt to prevent the
employee from using the software for personal purposes.