[tlug] Any HTML experts?

Jim Breen writes:

 > In HTML forms, is there any way to stop the pressing of the Enter
 > key after putting in text in a <input type="text"  .... > box from
 > sending in the whole form?

The HTML spec says nothing about this.  Ie, it's a user-agent thing,
AFAICS.  (I've always hated that behavior.)

 > There's probably a Javascript solution, but I'd prefer a vanilla
 > HTML one.

In this case use of a script looks like the most portable solution.

You can use the NOSCRIPT element and some CSS wizardry to present
either an input type="text" or a textarea in cases where scripts are
disabled.  Or if you don't trust the browsers to implement CSS or
expect users to override it, a more complex script should be feasible.