Re: [tlug] linux in Japanese schools

On 7 janv. 07, at 16:23, Curt Sampson wrote:

Freeing software is a political move to refuse to make code a simple
commodity, and places code at a much higher level: common knowledge
for the benefit of all. It is a very important and profound concept.

So a question: does putting software in the public domain, and working
to ensure that it's easily available to anybody who cares to get it, do
the same thing? Does it do it to the same degree?

The public domain is yet another thing. In public domain there is no copyright per definition. Plus it is extremely difficult to actually _put_ something in the public domain since _any_ intellectual work is considered to automatically generate copyright.

Public domain works have no restriction whatsoever for use. Plagiarism cannot be punished. Other abuses can't either. Although that needs to be tested in courts, it would be technically possible to put a new copyright on a public domain work (partial or total) since nobody protects the non-existing original copyright. The author does not have the right to license the use of the work.

On the other side, any distributed "intellectual activity" can be considered as copyrighted work and is basically protected by copyright law. Even what you and I write here is. Depending on the work, it is either protected by basic copyright law only, or by copyright law plus licensing agreements.

It seems to me indisputable (although again, I'm willing to listen to
refutations) that a software author has a lot more freedom when using
a piece of BSD-licensed code than he does when using a piece of GPL'd
code.

Sure, and it is also possible to say that in a world where stealing is not a crime punished by law, people have more freedom than us.

But the point is not here. The point is that the GPL grants a _transmission_ of freedom. The GPL considers that what is important is not the freedom of the individual programmer or distributor, but the freedom of the end user granted by the original authors. The GPL makes sure that there are no possible ways that and intermediate actor locks end-users in closed code.

The decision to GPL code is a very strong statement _against_ the
commodification of intellectual work.

You'll have to explain to me what this means. Viewing the statement
using the sense of "commodification" in economic terms, where goods from
different producers are fungible, doesn't really seem to generate a
plausable argument.

From Wikipedia:

In Marxist political economy, commodification takes place when economic value is assigned to something that traditionally would not be considered in economic terms, for example, an idea, identity, gender. For instance, sex becomes a marketed commodity, something to be bought and sold rather than freely exchanged. Human beings can be considered subject to commodification in contexts such as genetic engineering, cloning, eugenics, social darwinism, Fascism, mass marketing and employment.

Looking back,

Also, I think GPL is a very good way to resist the computer
Alpop-culture that an Kay refers to in his interviews.

Though I know Kay, I don't know what 'Alpop' culture is.

A typing glitch. "pop-culture".

JC