Re: [tlug] bootable linux with sshd

On 05/01/07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
That depends on how the logs on the "target" box are set up.
Remember, that's a box he will only log into if there's trouble.  So
to really be useful as a warning of hacking attempts, he'll need a
system that communicates the logs to him.

Actually, I'll log into that box plenty but using ssh keys and a password for sudo like I do for other open boxes I use. This is an _image_ I'll boot and log into only if there's trouble. So any attack would also have to happen at the right time (ie in the time between my parents in law rebooting the box with the rescue CD inserted and the time I have everything fixed and I ask them to take the CD out again and reboot). If I feeling very paranoid (and careful), I suppose I could set my shell to

#! /bin/sh

/etc/rc.d/rc.sshd stop
bash
reboot