Re: [tlug] bootable linux with sshd

On 02/01/07, Fergal Daly <fergal@example.com> wrote:
slax looks like a winner, it has an rc.ssh set to be not executable
and this page tells you exactly what to do to make it executable

http://web.vtc.edu/CIS2230/htdocs/Guertin.html

Hopefully it should be a reasonably quick job,

It turned out to be not such a bad job. I did it differently to the link above (avoid building squashfs filesystems). I wrote it up the whole procedure (probably took longer to write it all up than to do it).

http://wargle.blogspot.com/2007/01/making-secure-bootable-cd-with-sshd-and.html

BTW, it stops password logins but allows root logins. I don't really
see the point of not allowing root logins, I'd only go and create
another user with sudo permission - it'd require knowing a second
secret to be able to get root, I'm happy that my first secret (my ssh
key) is secret enough. Also, I can avoid the hassle of creating
another user on the live cd image.

I haven't booted the actual machine with this yet but the image does
exactly what I want in qemu. Thanks for the suggestions,