Re: [tlug] Nortel Networks, Model AXM-D-8-S-173

"Nortel Networks Micro-Annex xl Communications Server"
1) Use it as... what?

I'm guessing that it looks something like an Ethernet switch, right? Something like this one?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Nortel-MicroAnnex-XL-CM1009E32-Router_W0QQitemZ160066161044QQihZ006QQcategoryZ11187QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160066161044

This is almost certainly a terminal server in a series originally
designed by XYLogics, which was then sold to Bay Networks, which was
then sold to Nortel. It's basically a bunch of serial ports that you can
talk to over a network.

Before truly widespread use of integrated communications servers that
integrated the router and modems with direct PRI connnections to the
telephone network, these were commonly used by small ISPs to talk to
their banks of individual or rackmount analogue modems. They were also
used as terminal servers for minicomputer-style systems back when people
still used terminals. They're most frequenly used today in their last
remaining common use, as console servers, so that you can talk to the
serial port on, say, a Sun server, over the network.

If you have a need for a lot of serial ports, it could be useful.
Today, for various reasons I won't get into unless someone's really
curious, I'd be more likely to buy a handful of USB serial adapters than
something like this, though.

2) Dispose of it.

I'd be willing to buy it for 500 yen, if it's not too tough to meet up somewhere.

cjs