Re: [tlug] VNC and security

> I don't control VNC through SSH. All I'm doing is logging in via SSH,
> then turning on my VNC server. Then I access VNC via my VNC client as
> usual. When done, I then log in again via SSH and turn off my VNC server
> so it's not active when I'm not there.

That's what I do. The VNC server end runs on the remote machine. While you
could set it up to be listening all the time, the easiest way is to just
start it with the 'vncserver' command when you want to use it. Since that
is something you need to do on the remote machine, it makes sense to run
that command via ssh. In my case the 'remote end' is within the internal
company network so I don't bother to kill the server. If you leave it
running, you can connect with vncviewer many times and the same desktop
will show up each time. Of course, it sounds like you're coming in from
outside, in which case you'd be wise to kill vncserver each time just in
case your obscurity isn't quite obscure enough.

Now... if vncserver is already running and the connection still doesn't
work, then something more complex is at work, like closed ports. Other
mails in this thread were already going in that direction so I'll leave
that part of the puzzle to those with more experience than I.

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org                     for thou art crunchy
                                  and goest well with cheese.