Re: [tlug] dhcp.conf

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 05:43:13PM +0900, Shawn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please bear with my non-understanding
>
> Trying to get dhcp to work in fc6, I would need a client right?  In fc3,
> lookup worked out of the box; but in my fc6 install I didn't have the
> rpm installed.

Hrm.

Unless this Fedora box is working as a DHCP server, you don't need
dhcpd.conf.  That is a configuration file that a DHCP server uses.  It
gives information to the machines that get their addresses from the DHCP
server.

dhclient is what we use in FreeBSD, I think it's called dhcpcd.

So, assuming that your Linux machine is getting an address from a DHCP
server you would want to do something like

dhcpcd eth0

Which should get you an address.

There's a chance that you missed the step during installation where your
firewall allows dhcp through--or perhaps, in configuring the network
during installation.

I forget the name of the Fedora tool, but you can try that
too--net-config or redhat-net-config?  Hopefully, you know it (or a
Fedora user here can fill in that gap.)

> If I don't to request automatic lookup by dhcp as specified in the /usr/sbin/system-config-
> services gui, please let me know.

See above.  Again, this is assuming that you simply want your card to
get a dhcp address from something (router, ISP, etc) giving it.

> If I do need one, can I just ask a few questions.

These might as well be answered for the archives. :)

> # Sample dhcpd.conf
>
> # option definitions common to all supported networks...
> #option domain-name "linuxhelp.ca";
> ??I don't have a domain on this box so no need I think

In general, those who set up a DHCP server would probably use one, even
if it's just used locally, that is, on your internal LAN (Local Area
Network.)

> # Your name servers. You can normally find these in
> # your /etc/resolv.conf file. These will be distributed to all DHCP
> # clients.
> option domain-name-servers 10.1.1.1, 65.39.196.215, 65.39.192.130;
>
> ?? what is 10.1.1.1????  I have two entries 210.230.70.2 210.230.70.3 plus a name "rosenet.ne.jp"

This would have been a sample to show syntax.  You would have (were it
necessary to set this up) change it to your DNS servers.  These are
usually provided by an ISP, though one can also set up a Linux (or
Windows|BSD|etc) machine to be the name server.
often h

> ??does rosenet.ne.jp translate into a number somehow using a command like host or um forgot the other reverse lookup

Explaining this should be another thread.  It concerns DNS.  The
rosenet.ne.jp is probably the domain, or search domain line.

> default-lease-time 600;
> max-lease-time 7200;
> ??sure fine, copy and paste - values ok?

Sort of short, 600 and 7200 are seconds, meaning clients would be
asking for leases every 5 minutes.

> # If this DHCP server is the official DHCP server for the local
> # network, the authoritative directive should be uncommented.
> authoritative;
> ??for the local network of one box yes. no?

Yes, but again, my answers are for the archives.  In this case, a one
machine network wouldn't have a DHCP server.  Say I have 4 machines and
one is the DHCP server.  It is the authoritive server for the 4 machines
that are using it to get an IP address.

> # Configuration for an internal subnet.
> subnet 10.1.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>   range 10.1.1.2 10.1.1.25;
>   option domain-name-servers 10.1.1.1, 65.39.196.215, 65.39.192.130;
>   option domain-name "linuxhelp.ca";
>   option routers 10.1.1.1;
>   option broadcast-address 10.1.1.255;
>   default-lease-time 600;
>   max-lease-time 7200;
> }
>
> ?? um internal subnet.  again this is just one box.  Do I need to configure this.  Can I get the info from my fc3 box running dhcp fine somehow?

No, again, this was simply a sample to show syntax and options.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Harmony: Why have you come to our lonely, small town, which
has no post office and very few exports?