Re: [tlug] VNC and security

> On the Windows side, I fire up Putty, and log into my Ubuntu machine on
> port 8443. I log in successfully, my "fingerprint" matches. It all looks
> good, and I see a command prompt.
>
> But, then, this is where I think I'm missing something about the
> concept. I start up the VNC viewer, type in my Ubuntu machine's IP
> address and VNC port, and attempt to log in. It says "connection refused".

Between getting the command prompt and starting vncviwer, did you start a
vncserver on the remote machine? I think the command is simply 'vncserver'
and the first time you start the server it may well ask you for a password
(this is the password which you would use in vncviewer and does not have
to be your regular login password). Once the server starts, it should tell
you which display it's running (ie: ':1').

Of course, if you have already started vncserver on the Ubuntu machine as
a seperate operation, forget what I just said ;-)...

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org                     for thou art crunchy
                                  and goest well with cheese.