Re: [tlug] SATA software RAID or SAS hardware RAID?

> You're still missing the point, which is that the particular
> computation I was doing is not the point.
> If you cook up a solution in software, you are likely to run into the
> kind of problem I did, which means *you* have to be the expert, or
> hire one.

I think you're missing the point - software RAID is tried and tested,
with widespread use, and suits the problem at hand. It is not something
you need to "cook up": someone else has already invented it for you.

The point is that from either reliability or cost points of view there
is little to recommend hardware RAID over software RAID. The performance
point of view sounds more complex; see the URL posted earlier in this
thread, but that is not going to really matter for the majority of
applications.

Darren