Re: [tlug] SATA software RAID or SAS hardware RAID?

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

If you had asked me, I would have bet on Google using cheap components
with lots of redundancy, because their business model needs to have
lots of redundancy anyway.  My guess is that anybody asking about the
difference between software and hardware RAID on TLUG is not a
candidate for comparison to Google.

I was making a comparison between, "few, expensive, components specialized for speed and reliability," and "lots of cheap components." Whether it's Google Filesystem vs. an EMC system or a couple of different ways of putting together a $3000 RAID system, the principles and method of analysis are the same.

But for this particular case, someone appeared to be implying that
companies who have the money and need high reliability systems, such
as Akamai, go for specialized hardware. I was just pointing out that
that's not the case, and is certainly alone no argument for specialized
hardware.

cjs