[tlug] Google in Japan

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, Jason Hall wrote:

Curt wrote:
Oh, I was a bad boy, and didn't include a reference. Here's a paper on
the Google File System:
    http://labs.google.com/papers/gfs-sosp2003.pdf

Just a tidbit. Did you know one of the authors, Howard Gobioff, was in Tokyo for a couple years? He's moved on to another Google location now.

I had no idea, but that's interesting. What does Google do in Tokyo, anyway? Any real research, or is it mostly just a sales office?

In fact, I'd be curious to hear stories about any foreign companies that
do the majority of their research and development in their home country,
but have any kind of substantial research and development happenining
(in Japanese or English) in Japan.

cjs