[tlug] tv tuners question

Hi,

I'm planning on building a TV recording box over the next couple of
weeks but I'm totally new to Japanese TV (I've built a box that works
just fine in Ireland). Has anyone got any advice on what cards work
well with Linux and whether I should be aiming at digital terrestrial
broadcasts or capturing the cable feed. There seems to be a huge TV
capture market here but my Japanese skills are extremely limited so
doing research is  a bit tricky.

A little background - I live in Ireland. My wife is Japanese and would
like to be able to watch Japanese TV, we're over here for a few weeks
and plan to put this box in her parents' house. I'm the only one who
knows anything technical but I have no knowledge of Japanese
standards. I have about 3 weeks to get this done. I've switched to
using Ubuntu on all my computers so a solution that works well with
that would be best but I'm open to others.

Thanks for any help,

Fergal

P.S. I tried looking in the list archives before asking this as I
thought it must be an FAQ but they're password protected. Is it
possible to access the archives?