Re: [tlug] Japanese version of Freegeek?

Josh,

Thank you, I had no idea TLUG was looking into this.

This is a very interesting possiblity . My employer
actively sponsors volunteering to NPO's, letting each
employee have one day paid leave per year to volunteer a
full day and donating $500 to organizations that an employee has
volunteered over 50 hours in one year at. As my company will
be migrating from Solaris to Linux next year, I believe
I could motivate a small army of volunteers from my company,
but the NPO status is a must.

I am a USCPA, so I don't mind helping out with the regulatory requirements
(though I have no experience with Japanese NPO/NGO filings  . . .).

Perhaps this calls for a Wiki like site to organize efforts towards
getting this done?
Should I request Zev, Alberto and the powers that be to allocate some tlug.jp
space to this endeavor or is it sufficient for me to do something on
my own server
and post a link?

Is Mauro active on the mailing list? If not, is there a way I can
contact him to offer
my help?

-Ivan

On 12/12/06, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
On 11/12/06, Ivan Stout <aibanhamano@example.com> wrote:

> Anyway, I was wondering if anyone on this list had heard of an NGO/NPO in Japan
> that does something like Freegeek.org in the U.S. (basically, refurbish
> used computers using OSS). If not, are there any NGO/NPOs in Japan
> extensively using Open Source software and could use some volunteers?

I have not, but there has been talk of making TLUG an official
Not-for-Profit organisation. I think Mauro's wife, who is a paralegal,
was going to do some research.

Once we obtain the necessary legal status, you could fire up a
Freegeek project under the TLUG umbrella. :)

-Josh