Re: [tlug] routers and port forwarding

Evening,

Charles Muller wrote:
My Bittorrent downloads have recently come to a virtual halt for reasons I don't quite understand,
[snip]
I am hooked up with optic fiber via e-Mansion, which is basically an ISP foisted on/provided to people who buy new manshons in Tokyo. Obviously I have no router in my own room--I have a wall outlet that I plug into. But am I right in guessing that there must be a router either somewhere in my building, or somewhere else nearby, to which this port forwarding might be applicable?
Bittorrent really desires having incoming connections to make file transfers work. If incoming connections are blocked I've noticed this can make Bittorrent be a bit sluggish.
Before we start opening ports or anything else, here are some questions and reasons for the questions that I think might illuminate your networking situation. 1. Is the IP address you're receiving when you plug in your PC to the wall outlet a global IP address or a private address? [1]
If you're getting a private address then this means there is a router / firewall somewhere upstream that is multiplexing people's connections and this will require 'port forwarding' however this is not in your hands anymore. If it's not a private address...
2. Who exactly is the ISP provider? I've seen a similar setup as your hikari fiber setup. When I read the fine print, it was Usen who was the actual ISP. Once you know the ISP you can look up the particular service you have and try to extract as much information from services offered. I believe another TLUGer had a problem with very slow bittorrent connections and it turned out that his ISP automatically did port blocking of many ports however there was a web form to request an opt out.
3. Are FTP connections slow? Try downloading a Linux ISO from a Japanese mirror. I don't expect this to be slow but might as well check just to be sure.
4. If you enable a web server such as Apache can you connect to it from an outside machine?
If you can't then you know your ISP is blocking ports or you have a private address. If it isn't, you at least have a global IP although your ISP still MIGHT be blocking ports.

Hope that helps as a starter,
Alain

[1] RFC 1918 Address allocation for Private Internet