[tlug] routers and port forwarding

My Bittorrent downloads have recently come to a virtual halt for reasons I don't quite understand, but the error messages in the various client apps that I have been using tend to indicate that I need to do "port-forwarding" to my router. I have spent a fair amount of time googling and trying to understand this, but unfortunately have not come very far. Anyway, I downloaded a program called Portforward that claims to do set this up automatically (but it costs 24.95), but before I take this step, I want to ask a basic networking question:

I am hooked up with optic fiber via e-Mansion, which is basically an ISP foisted on/provided to people who buy new manshons in Tokyo. Obviously I have no router in my own room--I have a wall outlet that I plug into. But am I right in guessing that there must be a router either somewhere in my building, or somewhere else nearby, to which this port forwarding might be applicable?

Regards,

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University