Re: [tlug] Email address munging in the TLUG archives

Edward Middleton writes:

 > > Note that there are plenty of archiving services (eg, Gmane) with less
 > > than robust ethics about following list policy.  I'm pretty sure that
 > > Gmane munges, but others many not.

 > I was under the impression that gmane was managed by proxyies of the
 > group and the choice on whether to mung was up to them.

Gmane claims to consult with the managers of the lists it proxies, but
in practice it makes no effort to check whether people claiming to
represent the list have the authority to do so.

 > Good point, can we have the sender address removed from emails posted to
 > the list?

If you don't want your address to appear in the list traffic, don't
use it!

I think it's ridiculous to ask the group to try to protect you from
the consequences of your posts.  It's reasonable to make an exception
for the period when the archives were closed, but we all know how to
sign up for a hotmail address we're never actually going to read,
don't we?