Re: [tlug] Email address munging in the TLUG archives

On 06/12/06, Shannon Jacobs <shannon.jacobs@example.com> wrote:

Your basic spammer is a greedy, lazy bastard
dreaming of striking gold.

I am not so sure that this is true any more. I think your "average" spammer is now a professional spammer. Maybe Godwin can shed some light on this, as I think he is much more kuwashii than most on this issue.

The hilarious punchline is that the spammers will sometimes work so
desperately hard for their dream of not working anymore--but they'll
only do that when they think there's a possible goldmine.

I think spammers make decent money without having to work particularly hard. Everything is automated, so all they have to do is buy their lists of email addresses, feed them to the software, and go. I think the part of spamming that requires the most work is maintaining your business relationships with the companies whose products you are advertising. How that is any different, in terms of work required, than your average sales or advertising cube warrior, I cannot tell.

I very much agree with this. My own plan is for a spam-proof email
system that lives transparently in cooperation with SMTP. That
essentially reduces the spam problem to a four cell interface table
and you can let the users decide how they want to configure it. For
this brief description, call it the NEMS (for New EMail System). The
table is:

SMTP -> SMTP is the warlike spam-filled status quo
NEMS -> SMTP is treated as status quo (because SMTP can't do anything else)
NEMS -> NEMS is spam free
SMTP -> NEMS is the decision locus.

I really don't understand how this could be implemented. Can you provide more details?

-Josh