Re: [tlug] Advice on buying a Macbook

Hi,
> 6. Are there any questions I forgot to ask? ;)

Howto playback your DVDs that are encoded for different regions.

May I ask:

1) what you did in the past --  VLC? Handbrake (which uses many Linux
libraries by the way...)?
2) if anyone with a recent Macbook has succeeded

it appears in the following thread that newer macbook drives are region
locked which eliminates previously successful solutuions.

http://macnewbie.wordpress.com/2006/04/21/region-free-dvd-on-macbook-
pro-all-you-need-is-a-windows-xp-machine#comment-1143

it also looks at least on this site that it doesn't look like there is
firmware to change it

http://forum.rpc-1.com/viewtopic.php?
t=40099&sid=ea2678dcab9c45fec8c27653bf03df03

Please feel free to tell me I am wrong as that is what I would like to
hear.

By the way, if it can be changed 4 times, how does it work if I run say
XP under parallels.  4 total changes for the drive or 4 changes for each
virtualized system.  I'd assume 4 total but...

Shawn

(this is a repost since the original message didn't appear)