Re: [tlug] Advice on buying a Macbook

BABA Yoshihiko writes:

 > Q. How can I use Linux software?

Yeah, I thought about this one, but I've tried all the answers you
suggest, and they all were pretty unsatisfactory.

 > A.
 > http://finkproject.org/

DOA for Josh, I think.  All the worst features of Debian/Ubuntu binary
distros.  I never did get the source packages to work right.  How did I
spell "relief"?  "rm -rf /sw".

 > http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/

夜逃げしちゃった。Now it's called MacPorts, it's hosted at
macosforge.org, it's still coded in Tcl, and unbelievably slow (even
by Mac OS X standards).  It installs itself by default into
/opt/local, which is unintuitive (although admittedly better than
Fink's /sw).

It is fairly easy to hack in more recent versions of a somewhat
outdated package, though.

Still, I don't think a Gentoo user could stand either of the above.

 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/macos/

Last I looked (June?), it was pretty dead-looking, and had the serious
misfeature that it assumed that it could take over your system and
replace Apple's versions of various utilities.

Until we can get Gentoo to install into (say) /opt/portage, what
really looks like the best bet is pkgsrc (from the conservative
BDevelopersFH at NetBSD, so you know it works :-).