Re: [tlug] Fwd: Tux Droid : coders needed!

On 28/11/06, Godwin Stewart <godwin.stewart@example.com> wrote:

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:50:02 +0900, "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com>
wrote:

> For all I know, the original email was sent only to lists where a
> member had given permission to the person doing the sending.

I received it not through any mailing list I subscribe to, but directly.

Oh, did you? Sorry, I did not realise that. I thought this whole discussion was about me forwarding the mail to this list.

The poster just looked for any e-mail addresses associated with Linux
activity and blasted his/her spam out to all of them.

If that is true, then I see your point.

That is not the Right Way To Do It(tm).

Indeed it is not. Please consider my comments withdrawn, for they were made in a completely different context.

As Stephen said, "might" is the problem here. We all get thousands of
offers for penny stocks, pills, advance fee scams, fake lottery wins
etc. because someone thought (ObQuirk noted) we "might" be interested
in the offer. The fact that this was about a geeky Linux-based toy
doesn't make it any different than pi11z spam. It's all about conSent,
not conTent.

I completely agree with what you are saying, but my perspective is slightly different in this case. I feel that the "bulk" component of spam is what makes it so odious. That and the fact that it is advertising at best, scamming at worst. In this case, I think that the PR person is guilty of: a) laziness, and b) naÃvetÃ, but not c) spamming.

But it really boils down to personal judgement, and I don't fault you
for yours. :)

-Josh