Re: [tlug] Advice on buying a Macbook

On 28/11/06, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

Josh Glover writes:

 > Ask anyone who has had to write assembly code for both x86 and PPC
 > which they prefer. :)

Yah, but the problem is the OS that Apple wrapped around the PPC.
Especially the file system.  "Tiger" is perceptibly faster than
"Panther", but HFS+ is still dog-slow compared to any real *nix FS.

Indeed. Linux on a PPC ran pretty well. The fact that a PPC yielded comparable performance to x86 chips clocked 75% faster should give some indication that the design of the CPU itself was pretty decent.

I pick RISC over CISC any day, but that battle has been fought and
lost, at least in this generation of CPUs. I predict that as
transistor densities rise more and more, we will see a return to RISC.

But what do I know? ;)

-Josh