[tlug] RE: Linux Distros (was NTFS mounting (was: wiki))

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 21:16:50 +0900
> From: "Keith Bawden" <keith@example.com>
> Subject: Re: [tlug] NTFS mounting (was: wiki)
> To: "Tokyo Linux Users Group" <tlug@example.com>
<snip>
> > I know that Debian is still relatively active, but neither of the
> > other two distributions seem to be in good form these days.
> >
> > Mark
<snip>
> As for which distro to go with, that is a difficult question.
> Go with which ever you remember being comfrotable with :-)
>
> Regards, Keith

Personally, I like Ubuntu.  It is Debian based (which a lot of the newer
distros are), but it is a lot more user friendly.  It's goal was to have
all the technological capabilities of the Debian Unstable branch, with
better stability and an install process and user interface that can be
used by most people who can figure out how to put the CD in the drive.
:P

If you have minimal Linux know how, and don't want to learn much about
it, then Ubuntu can fill that slot.  If you are a veteran, and like to
dig into the guts of the system and tweek and change things, then Ubuntu
will still work for you.  :-)  You can even bypass the packaging system
if you absolutely want too, but I think most people like packaging
systems these days when they are available. :P