Re: [tlug] wiki

On 11/18/06, Mark Makdad <mark@example.com> wrote:
Godwin Stewart wrote:
> USB 2.0 *is* on Linux and has been for ages, at least since the mid
> 2.4.x kernels - 2.4.18 sounds about right. However, the feasability of
> the switchover depends on what you want to connect to a USB 2.0 port.

I would be running an external hard drive.  It is a "external mount"
that you stick any-old EIDE drive into and then plug into USB.  Seems to
work fine on the standard Windows drivers for USB Mass Storage, so I
don't know why it wouldn't work under Linux if there is such solid USB
support.

Mark

A very easy way to check would be to boot up a knoppix (or other live CD) and check it out. Knoppix also has NTFS support, so you will be able to read from your Windows partition while you are at it.

I find Knoppix acts as a good guide for checking HW compatibility.
That is if things work under Knoppix then you know the HW is Linux
ready. If the HW does not work then you know you have some extra home
work to do :-)

Regards, Keith