Re: [tlug] A Hardware Question

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 11:15:32 +0900, <burlingk@example.com> wrote:

What kind of device would I look for to hook two monitors up to one computer so that I could switch between the two? I have seen pleanty of devices to do the reverse (two computers one monitor), but I need to be able to use a regular monitor for day to day use, and a much larger one for presentations.

Ditto everyones suggestions for either a duel head video card or 2 video cards.
Currently using an Nvidia card in dual screen mode but it would be simple to change it to clone mode.

Some advantages to this set-up over some kind of video switch are:
- the presenter gets their own screen. No need to look over your shoulder.
- once it's set-up there is no need to adjust any video settings it's ready to go anytime.
- you can tailor the video setting to the needs of each monitor. High res for your daily use monitor, a lower res for the presentation monitor.

If this doesn't appeal to you, and you are looking for a zero configuration approch, you could use one of those hareware video cloners often used in shops to show off a large number of monitors. The minus is you must use the some res for both monitors.

Greg.

In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows or gates?
-Graham Williams