Re: [tlug] antispam tricks

Botond Botyanszki writes:

 "jg" == "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

 jg> On 16/11/06, Botond Botyanszki <tlug@example.com> wrote:
 jg>
 jg> >  * I thought of using greylisting, but I think eventually spammers will
 jg> >   lean towards becoming rfc compliant and come back later with the mail.
 jg>
 jg> Why? Remember, spammers are all about efficiency. They need to be able
 jg> to reach as many people as possible as cheaply as possible or their
 jg> "business" model doesn't work. If you remove yourself from the
 jg> category of low-hanging fruit, why would spammers come after you when
 jg> it requires more effort and cost?

For pride and ire, for two reasons.  It's important to realize that
the recent surge in spam is not costing the more prolific spammers a
dime---their costs are all overhead: software development and
marketing to their clients.  They don't pay for their CPUs and they
don't pay for their bandwidth.  So being able to reach greylisting
servers is a plus for their marketing, and a one-time cost in
adjusting their viruses.  And some spammers just hate being shut out,
even by just one host.

 > BTW, the example above shows why I need blacklisting at IP level. If the
 > first message is detected as spam, the host would have no chance of
 > trying to push more spam mails in and succeed.

True, but I don't see often see multiple spams from the same host
AFAIK.  (That may be due to /dev/null-ing IPs that are on 3 of 3
dnsrbls.)  I would expect by now that botnets are designed to avoid
multiple sends to the same target from the same IP (except for SMTP
4xx resends).

 jg> It is the same theory as Internet security; I am not so naive that I
 jg> think my boxen could withstand a determined, focused, skilled
 jg> attacker, but I am certainly so much better prepared for
 jg> run-of-the-mill auto-attackers that I seriously doubt my boxen will
 jg> ever be cracked. It is just not worth the effort when there are
 jg> millions of hosts on the 'Net that can be broken into much more
 jg> easily.

You will eventually get caught by a regression, or maybe even a new
bug that the blackhats exploit before the many eyes publish a fix,
although maybe not in your lifetime.  You've heard my Smail story,
haven't you?