Re: [tlug] FTTH providers

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Keith Bawden wrote:

> On 11/14/06, Joe Larabell <fred62@???> wrote:
> > Depending where you are, you could have other options. I have Usen's
> > Broad-gate-01 service right now.
>
> Unfortunately I can only get the "mansion type" hikari where I am :-(

What's wrong with that? You still get the 5 IPs and a raw net connection.
the only differences are: (a) you don't have to play host to the converter
box, and (b) if you have neighbors that hog the bandwidth, you might see
some slowdown. I had mansion-type Usen in my last apartment and it worked
fine.

But...

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Edward Middleton wrote:

> That is another option. What type of plan are you using?

When I moved about a year and a half ago, the landlord said no to the
mansion type (he probably didn't want the box installed in the common
area) and that I should call NTT and have them pull a B-Flets fiber
right into the apartment. Well... I figured if they will let NTT do that,
they might let Usen do it. So I called them and it seems they offer what
is essentially the same as a single-family home type installation but they
pull the fiber up through the conduits. The service itself isn't any
better that way -- but the landlord said OK. The only thing it that I was
worried about the fiber breaking with two small kids running around. But
it seems to have held up well.

I don't know the name of the plan other than 'Broad-Gate 01'. I pay just
under 6k yen/month. It's not a business plan.

> I have only used the USEN business plans and can attest to the fact
> that you get a media converter and that is all.

Yeah... just like having your own T1, only faster.

> > You can ask the provider if you can run multiple computers from the same
> > connection. If the answer is: 'yes, but you need your own router', then
> > they are probably providing a raw net connection.
>
> Almost all can run multiple computers over a single IP, i.e. NAT. The
> problem is whether you can have multiple global IP's and whether the
> machine even has access to the global IP.

Hmmm... that's what I meant to say. But I suppose if they insist on giving
you a pre-setup router, you can't really tell if the IP your computers get
will be global or private until you plug it in and switch it on -- and by
then it's too late to change your mind. I'm not sure what you could ask a
non-technical sales guy that would tell you for sure either way.

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org                     for thou art crunchy
                                  and goest well with cheese.