Re: [tlug] about Tlug Wiki

leon calvaud wrote:
Hello all,
i'm new to this list so i'll introduce myself fast.

Bienvenue au TLUG.

I looked about some few mails on mailling lists yesterday and day before, and you talked about wiki. I think it's a good idea to do a wiki, much user, or visitors could help you using it. But there are much wiki project (over 100) and the problem is to find one that suits the goal of Tlug. In this way i could help you by giving you a list and maybe helping you by testing some of these wiki.

At the last TLUG technical meeting, Josh was mentioning that he personally was learning towards MediaWiki as a candidate. Frankly, I don't care what wiki software gets installed as long as something gets installed sooner rather than later. Personally, I'd lean towards MediaWiki as well since it has a bit of mindshare (with that Wikipedia project and all) so there is motivation for the MediaWiki developers to continue maintaining and improving it.

I tried today to look about wikis projects, and i begin a list of these. But due to number of these (more than 100), i need to know exactly what Tlug needs, so feel free to say me your wishes.

I'm not sure if there's been a discussion the TLUG list discussing what type of wiki members would be comfortable with. There might have been some rumblings on the admin mailing list but if this is going to be a service offered for the TLUG community, a discussion on THIS mailing list seems appropriate.

Although my understanding from the meeting is some of these features would be desirable:
1. Supported under Debian
2. Authorized-only edits
3. Some way to link the userid with a TLUG member name on the mailing list (Isn't this just a 2 line bash-script?)
4. MediaWiki-compatible syntax supported

As for MediaWiki itself. I just double checked the package listings on Debian's site [1] and it seems that MediaWiki is in Debian testing and unstable but not in stable. I'm not sure if this will be a problem for installation on hikari or not. I guess that can be hashed out later.

Alain