Re: [tlug] Modems

Henri Honda wrote:

> Are the so-called hardmodems available here in JA?

Sure,

but because softmodems are much cheaper than hardware modems,
most people buy softmodems, not real hardware modems.
I.e., there is little demand for hardware modems, so the
inherently higher price of hardware modems has gone up even more.
The move away from phone-line modems to high-speed internet,
further reduces the demand for hardware modems,
further increasing the price of hardware modems.
This is a world-wide trend, although it may be exacerbated
in Japan by adoption of high-speed internet.

I think that hardware modems will persist,
but they will be high-priced specialty items.

Look in cheap used stores and expensive industrial suppliers.

Search for v.92 external modem on auction sites.
Make sure they have an RS-232 interface.