Re: [tlug] Xming - COOL!

Greg Thomson wrote:
> but I though this app might also be useful in an office that
> was looking to introduce linux apps or move its win desktop users to linux
> desktops at some point in the future.

Yes.  I'm in an office like that.  I doubt that I have the expertise to
set it up and explain to Japanese faculty how to use it in a safe way,
but eventually this sounds like something that could be done, with
enough study.  Definitely a "cool" concept!

Some academics in Japan I know think nothing of spending around 200,000
yen every few years on software that in many cases they only need from
time to time.  It's not like they're rich though.  If they could use
some equivalent Linux apps on a Linux box from their Windows machine,
they could save a lot of money and give less money to certain nasty
companies.  Many people in the natural sciences probably have the brains
to do it; all that is necessary is the will to try something new.  There
is some interest in Linux now among some Japanese scholars I know.  Some
are starting to use OpenOffice on their Windows machines and 2 or 3 are
interested in trying out GNU/Linux as an alternative OS.  But although
I've given out a few Ubuntu CDs and most of them have an old Windows box
lying around at home, however, none of them have actually tried to
install it.  Making it easy for them to try out Linux apps is probably
important.

Thanks for this post.
Joe