Re: [tlug] Upgrading Sucks (was: FC5 Sucks: firewire drive/videos)

On 09/11/06, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:

But I also want my cake and to eat it: I want the new stuff without the
old stuff breaking :-).

You can't have that. Can't even have that with Windows. Maybe Mac OS X? ;)

FC5 has some nice things. Anthy is the first linux IME that is as good
as the Windows one.

Try PRIME. It is æå-style input, offering auto-completions based on common usage patterns, both standard Japanese and your personal style.

Firefox 1.5 allows me to drag tabs to re-order them.
Thunderbird 1.5 allows me to detach attachments, without having to
delete the whole mail. Et cetera.

But you can upgrade to all of these packages without upgrading the whole distro, can't you?

BTW, Fedora has a relatively short life cycle. I upgraded when security
updates for FC4 stopped.

This should be a good hint that you should not be using Fedora. Fedora is for bleeding-edge lovers, for fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants Linuxers. Not for a guy like you who wants it to Just Work(TM).

But I also want the new stuff. FC5 has some nice things.

Gentoo may be a little work to set up, but it is very nice for people who want new bits of software without upgrading world.

-Josh