Re: [tlug] Novel embraces Microsoft

Edward Middleton writes:

 > This whole theory relies on there being only three parties that have
 > interest in the continuation of the SAMBA project.

What makes you think that?  Nothing I've said fails to apply to any
other parties; it's just simplest to restrict attention to the
developers, Microsoft, and Microsoft's current dance partner.

 > As for your exclusion of anything but American Law, that might be mostly
 > fine for you as an individual but Microsoft has business interests in a
 > large number of markets and so isn't in a position to outright ignore
 > the laws of the Countries they operate in.

What do you have in mind?  To the extent that other countries grant
software patents, they're generally quite similar in effect to those
of the U.S.  Japan's in particular is basically identical.  They do
vary a lot on standards for granting patents, but WIPO effectively
biases things in the direction of honoring foreign patents if a
domestic patent could have been granted for that invention.