Re: [tlug] Novel embraces Microsoft

Godwin Stewart wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 17:50:09 +0900, stephen@example.com wrote:
>
>> PNG did everything I needed, thank-you-very-much
>
> Of course, some of us need to earn a living creating sites that will
> work on the browsers of as many people as possible. That means catering
> to the lowest common denominator: Internet Exploder. Unless Microsoft
> has fixed this in IE7, IE does not support transparent or alphablended
> PNG files without jumping through various different hoops according to
> the version of IE under consideration, most of which involve DirectX.
> That pretty much rules out PNG for any site expecting more than 3
> users, *obliging* the developer to use GIF. Grrrrrrr.....

But isn't working around IE's limitations 70% of a web developers job
anyway. So working around the png issue is likely to make working around
IE's brokenness about 70.4 % of your job :-)

As for the png work around I use something like this and it seems to
work for all of our sites visitors:

* html div#main-logo {
background: transparent;
filter:
progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(sizingMethod='scale',src='/images/logo.png');
}

Regards, Keith