Re: [tlug] Xming - COOL!

Joe Larabell wrote:
>>> I think you'l find that the whole concept of an X server on Windows has
>>> been around for much longer than that but I could be wrong.
>>>

>> Errr.. You're right. Blush, blush. Upon futher reading this concept is
>> nothing new at all.
>>
> AFAIK, the X protocol itself is fairly bloated and somewhat insecure. For
> remote connections (remote as in not on the same LAN), there is a better
> solution that's been around quite a while:
>
>   http://www.tightvnc.com/
>
> VNC was originally developed by AT&T for remote X applications. Instead of
> running the X server on your own machine, it runs on the same machine as
> the client (for better performance) and the rendered graphics are analyzed
> and compressed and sent to a 'viewer' that runs on the user's machine.
> That makes it a lot faster than X. With the added benefit that you can
> disconnect and reconnect later and your X desktop is still there just as
> you left it.

Having used both. I would have to say that X tends to be faster except
for graphical applications like gimp.  My understanding of the VNC
protocol is that it just sends a compressed bitmap across the network
which will almost always be less efficient then a command to draw a
window.  The big advantage of VNC is that because it just sends bitmaps
you can use it both ways, i.e windows <=> Linux, OSX <=> Linux, Zaurus
<=> desktop Linux

I should also mention the X live CD[1] which allows you to run X on
windows without installing.

Edward

1. http://xlivecd.indiana.edu/