Re: [tlug] Uploading web files into the www

Forrest Nelson wrote:

> Any ideas on the proper procedure for uploading web files?

There many correct ways.

I like scp -pr and rsync -aH -e ssh for their security
and their ability to preserve permissions.

Most likely your file permissions are screwed up.
It's not clear how much you know about UNIX file permissions,
so I recommend exploring the following:

   http://www.google.com/search?q=unix+permissions+tutorial

As Darren Cook wrote, you can make your web files in the
apache group, and readable by the apache group.
Alternatively you could make the files readable by everyone.

   find /your/www/directory -type f -exec chmod o+r  {} \;
   find /your/www/directory -type d -exec chmod o+rw {} \;

It sounds like the way you convey files is cumbersome.
Each machine in the middle can have different users and
so each machine has an opportunity to screw up the permissions
if you copy each web file as a file.

Alternatively, you could bundle all the files into one file,
with all the permission information hidden inside, then
convey the one big file. Mangled permissions on that one big
file, would not affect the permission information hidden inside.

On source computer:

   cd /your/www/directory
   tar cvzf tx.tgz .

Then convey tx.tgz to the destination computer by whatever means,
then unbundle the tx.tgz tarball:

   cd /your/www/directory
   tar xvzf tx.tgz .