[tlug] Uploading web files into the www

Dear TLUG,

I would like to know the proper procedure for installing my web files into the www folder. Details of my problem are below.

I recently had a problem with my web page which I am hosting on my linux computer running fedora 5. At first, I uploaded my web page with a usb disk and could view my web page from any internet connection. 2 weeks later, I made an update by uploading my files through ftp to the linux desktop on my computer at home. The next day, I went to work and put those files I had ftp to my desktop to my www folder. This screwed up my permissions. No one was able to view my web page. A message appeared, Access denied. You do not have permissions to see this web page. Any ideas on the proper procedure for uploading web files? Or maybe someone can point me to relevant information online?

Sincerely,

Forrest M. Nelson