Re: [tlug] iPod nano and Linux

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 23:05:25 +0900, "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com>
wrote:

> > Ogg vorbis would be nice but I've pretty much resigned myself to the
> > fact that only very few manufacturers provide that codec.
>
> It is not as bad as you think:
>
> http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/PortablePlayers

Hmm. The iPod is about the only player in that list that's available in
this neck of the woods.

> Hrm... earbuds would seem to be the easiest and cheapest to replace
> thing, so it would make sense to invest in a good player and find
> decent buds if you don't like the ones (if any) that the player ships
> with.

Once again, the local market is a little "sterile" compared to the
market in your neck of the woods.

> These are a little pricey, but quite a good value for the money:
>
> http://www.amazon.fr/Sony-MDRNC11-MDR-NC11-Ecouteurs/dp/B00007EDM0
>
> It doesn't look like .fr is selling them right now, but .co.uk, .de,
> or .com should have them.

But they don't deliver electronics goods outside their own respective
countries. The only way I'll get them from Amazon is if it's from Amazon
France. Plus I swore never to buy a Sony product again after their DRM
balls-up[0] on audio CD's anyway.

Thanks to all, however, for your input. My next acquisition will most
likely be an iPod nano if the playback quality on my new cellphone[1]
is too crappy.

[0] - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/01/sony_rootkit_drm/
[1] - http://europe.nokia.com/link?cid=EDITORIAL_5486
      I don't yet have it. Should do some time next week.

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

The best way to accelerate a Windows-infested computer is at 9.8 m.s^-2