Re: [tlug] iPod nano and Linux

On 04/11/06, Godwin Stewart <godwin.stewart@example.com> wrote:

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 20:32:08 +0900, "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com>
wrote:

> 1. Audio codecs? e.g. MP3, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, AAC, FLAAC, etc.

Ogg vorbis would be nice but I've pretty much resigned myself to the
fact that only very few manufacturers provide that codec.

It is not as bad as you think:

http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/PortablePlayers

> 2. Internal memory and/or memory card? SD? MiniSD?

I'm really unfussed. If it has a gig or two of memory, that's great.
Whether it's on-board or with cards (SD, or mini-SD preferably, if it
has to be cards) is of little importance at the end of the day.

This is what I have:

http://www.signeo.co.jp/products/sn-m700/

Great value, great size (about 1.5 cm thick, 2 cm wide, and maybe 5 cm
long), great battery life (20 hours on a charge, recharges off USB),
takes SD (or Mini/Micro SD with adapter), plays Ogg Vorbis, MP3, MP4,
WMA, WAV as well as MPEG4, MPEG-1, and WMV video.

I paid less than 10,000 yen for the 512MB internal memory model.

What *is* important, however, is the comfort of the ear buds. IIRC,
those supplied with the iPod are quite reasonable. Those that came with
my current music player[0] are rather uncomfortable.

Hrm... earbuds would seem to be the easiest and cheapest to replace thing, so it would make sense to invest in a good player and find decent buds if you don't like the ones (if any) that the player ships with.

These are a little pricey, but quite a good value for the money:

http://www.amazon.fr/Sony-MDRNC11-MDR-NC11-Ecouteurs/dp/B00007EDM0

It doesn't look like .fr is selling them right now, but .co.uk, .de,
or .com should have them.

-Josh