Re: [tlug] iPod nano and Linux

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 20:32:08 +0900, "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com>
wrote:

> > Basically, I'm on the look-out for a reasonable solid-state music
> > player
>
> Well, what do you need in the way of features?
>
> 1. Audio codecs? e.g. MP3, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, AAC, FLAAC, etc.

Ogg vorbis would be nice but I've pretty much resigned myself to the
fact that only very few manufacturers provide that codec.

MP3 is the de facto standard nowadays (more's the pity) and LAME is a
pretty good encoder - better than bladeenc for example.

I don't have any music encoded in WMA, AAC et al.

> 2. Internal memory and/or memory card? SD? MiniSD?

I'm really unfussed. If it has a gig or two of memory, that's great.
Whether it's on-board or with cards (SD, or mini-SD preferably, if it
has to be cards) is of little importance at the end of the day.

What *is* important, however, is the comfort of the ear buds. IIRC,
those supplied with the iPod are quite reasonable. Those that came with
my current music player[0] are rather uncomfortable.

[0] - http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/koolsteel/

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

The reason we come up with new versions is not to fix bugs.  It's
absolutely not.
                        -- Bill Gates