[tlug] iPod nano and Linux

Are there any TLUG members who use an Apple iPod nano?

Basically, I'm on the look-out for a reasonable solid-state music
player (I hesitate to use the term MP3 player) that I can hook up to a
Linux system in order to transfer music to/from it.

I'm not in the least bit interested in iTunes or any other DRM-infested
online music scam, I just want to transfer stuff from my stock on the
hard drive to the device in order to listen to it.

Now, I've heard conflicting pieces of information regarding the iPod
nano. Some say that it is recognized as a straightforward usb-storage
device and that you can simply cp the files over to the filesystem
(vfat or hfsplus depending on the iPod) on the device. Others say that
you can copy stuff until you're blue in the face but it'll never play
if the iPod isn't told (via the proprietary software) that what you're
copying is to be played. Yet others (but I think they must be mistaken)
have said that it won't play back anything that doesn't have any DRM
crap in it.

The searches I ran all seemed to turn up results on how to install
Linux on the iPod rather than how to connect an iPod to a Linux
computer.

I don't want to go out and buy something only to find it's a
paperweight. An expensive and useless (because too light) paperweight
moreover.

Can anyone here shed any light?

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com