Re: [tlug] RAID5 - move array from Fedora 5 to Fedora 6

On 04/11/06, Matt Gross <mgrossjp@example.com> wrote:

How can I install Fedora Core 6 on a new SATA drive _without_ losing my
RAID5 setup and data?  Would it be safest to (option 1) completely
disconnect the RAID5 drives while doing the initial install, then
re-connect after I confirm that Fedora 6 is working,

Yes.

or (option 2) can I
just rely on the installer to recognize the RAID5 and auto-configure
without deleting my data?

You could, but that would be unwise indeed.

Are there other options?

Bring it to the next TLUG meeting, and let the old salts have a go. Back up your data first. ;)

If I went with option 1, is it easy to configure an already existing
RAID5 on a new system?

It should not be too hard. After all, you configured the RAID5 on your old system, right?

Edward is currently lost in transit right now, or he'd be a lot of
help. He has done quite a bit of software RAIDery with LVM and LVM2,
IIRC.

The short answer is: if you do not unplug the drives physically during
the install, you'd better back up your data to be safe.

On the other hand, I would be quite surprised if Disk Druid isn't
smart enough these days to see your RAID5 logical volume and give you
the option to leave it untouched, simply creating one or more mount
points for the filesystems contained within.

But if it were my data, I would not trust a GUI disk partitioning tool
with it. Especially one that ships with Fedora, which is the bleeding
edge, "break it here, fix it, and port it to RHEL four years from now"
distro.

Cheers,
Josh