Re: [tlug] CJK Printing from Web Browsers in Debian 3.3.2

Josh Glover wrote:
On 03/11/06, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

[...] All is not lost, mate. Follow these steps, and you should be
 right as rain:

1. Find your preferences files for: a. Mozilla b. Firefox c. Thunderbird

Damn you Gmail and your premature send! ;)

Well, it was a good joke on me. "Well, *thanks* Josh!" thought I.

As I was saying:

0. *** Quit Mozilla, Firefox, and Thunderbird! ***

1. Find your preferences files for: a. Mozilla b. Firefox c. Thunderbird

find .mozilla/ -type f -name \*prefs.js

2. Comment out all existing printer-specific settings in your Firefox
 and Thunderbird prefs files:

sed -i.bak -e 's|^\(.\+intl.\+\)$|// \1|' <FirefoxPrefsFileFromStep1>
sed -i.bak -e 's|^\(.\+intl.\+\)$|// \1|' <ThunderbirdPrefsFileFromStep1>

3. Add the printer-specific settings from your Mozilla prefs file to your Firefox and Thunderbird prefs files:

grep -i print <MozillaPrefsFileFromStep1> | tee -a <FirefoxPrefsFileFromStep1> grep -i print <MozillaPrefsFileFromStep1>
| tee -a <ThunderbirdPrefsFileFromStep1>

That should be all there is to it. If that does not work, or Firefox or Thunderbird spews error messages (hint: run them from the command-line so that debugging and error messages get printed to the terminal), examine the differences between the junk that is commented
out and the junk that you added to the end of each prefs file.

I went ahead and ran the suggested commands without studying their man pages; I prefer to know what I'm doing, but these look like a long study. I've never really understood how "Abracadabra" works either.

When they didn't work--Thunderbird printed squares on a test--and the
Firefox and Mozilla prefs still looked fairly different when I opened them
side by side (Mozilla still prints Japanese OK), I shut all Mozilla
stuff down again and ran just the

sed -i.bak -e 's|^\(.\+intl.\+\)$|// \1|'
.mozilla/firefox/ucf0ouei.default/prefs.js

command again, and took another look at the file.  It reported a
last-modified time the same as when I ran the command, but nothing in
the file looks commented out.  So I went "man sed" after all, and now I
understand everything in that command except the minor
's|^\(.\+intl.\+\)$|// \1|' part.

The backup file is identical to the "sed'ed" one.  Both contain five
instances of  "...print_command"!

Then I tried setting up a user.js file in Thunderbird, copying in all of
the "...print..." lines from Mozilla's prefs file, hoping it would override
Thunderbird's prefs, but that didn't work either.

BTW, the kprinter trick will only work if you use KDE (or have it installed) and KDE apps print Japanese correctly. Otherwise, just use
plain ol' lpr.

I do use KDE. A couple of years ago I was having some kind of trouble printing which regularly changing "lpr ${<whatever>}" to just "kprinter" cured, but I don't remember details (those last four words have become the story of my life).

Thanks for trying.  Computers is weird.
Bart