Re: [tlug] Screen resolutions with 64MB

>> card will support it fine. I don't know the video chipset, but I'm using
>> the vesa generic driver. This is fedora core 5, which uses "xorg".
>
> Find out the chipset by poking through the output of dmesg(8), then
> use the correct driver for your card, if possible. Using the VESA
> driver is unlikely to yield any decent resolution.

Thanks for the tip. I've run my eyes up and down dmesg output and I
don't see any mention of a video chipset.

However by opening the case to get the motherboard name, and some
googling, it seems I have a "S3 Unichrome pro", and after some trial and
error, and some more googling, it seems the driver is called "via". The
driver is not the one called "s3". Obvious really, I don't know how I
made that mistake.

Anyway with the new video driver I can now choose higher screen
resolutions without complaint, so it looks like all that stands between
me and that lovely 19" wide-screen monitor is 32,000 yen...

Thanks again for the help,

Darren