Re: [tlug] CJK Printing from Web Browsers in Debian 3.3.2

Evan Monroig wrote:
> Bart Mathias <mathias@example.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>>Recently I trashed all my Mozilla stuff in a freak accident.  When I
>>reinstalled Thunderbird and Firefox, Mozilla Suite came along for the
>>ride (apparently Firefox always ends up in ~/.mozilla?), but I never
>>looked at it until yesterday, after trying some of the suggestions in
>>last November's thread.  I first took a look at prefs.js, and was
>>surprised to find that it contained only about four lines, none of
>>particular interest to my problem.  Nevertheless, I ran the browser,
>>Googled 日本語 and printed the top of the resultant page.  It printed
>>in Japanese script.  Then when I looked at prefs.js again, it was full
>>of "user_pref" stuff, including
>>
>>user_pref("print.printer_PostScript/LC24-100.print_command", "lpr
>>${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+'-P'}${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME}");
>>
>>This was odd, because the OP of last November's thread had solved his
>>problem by changing the "lpr" in that to "kprinter."  I had already
>>tried that suggestion, and it didn't work.
>>
>>Thunderbird has just "kprinter" without the ${MOZ_ ... stuff.
>

> I opened Mozilla Thunderbird to test this.  (I have never used it
> before).  It is version 1.5.0.7 (20060922), on Ubuntu Dapper.  I wrote a
> draft email with the word 日本語 in the body, and when printed, it came
> out correctly.
>
> In my home directory I found
> ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/g6iasd57.default/prefs.js which has:
>
> user_pref("print.printer_CUPS/ML9300.print_command", "lpr ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+'-P'}${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME}");

Thanks for this.  It's interesting (to me, anyway) that you have "CUPS"
where I have "PostScript."  But since my plain Mozilla prefs.js also has the
same (quoted above) and plain Mozilla prints CJK just fine, that
probably can't be the problem.

> You can see the whole file here [1].  (I removed parts about mail
> servers).
>
> HTH,
>
> Evan
>
> [1] http://www.obakechan.net/c0zHMK74y5f3Idr/prefs.js

Another difference: I don't have an analog to your
user_pref("print.print_printer", "CUPS/ML9300"); but again, that's true also
of my CJK-printing Mozilla Suite apps.

Bart Mathias