[tlug] Screen resolutions with 64MB

I've on-board video card, which I've assigned 64MB, and which I
currently use as 1024x768, 24 bit depth. I'm thinking of getting a new
19" monitor, either 1280x1024 or 1440x900, and I'm wondering if my video
card will support it fine. I don't know the video chipset, but I'm using
the vesa generic driver. This is fedora core 5, which uses "xorg".

The reason I ask is that when I had 32MB instead of 64MB assigned, it
reduced itself to 800x600, 16 bit depth. That seems very strange to me
as 1024 x 768 x 3 bytes is 2.3MB, which is obviously a lot less than
32MB. How does video resolution relate to required video memory??

Darren