Re: [tlug] Looking for advice on the best way to rebuild a gentoo box

Romans Malinovskis wrote:
I am tempted to try doing a :

emerge -Duave world

I'd suggest you [chroot idea snipped]

That sounds like a really good idea actually! As long as you have the disk space this sounds like a good way to ensure all packages are working.

For a box over 1y old without updates i would be scared myself to do regular upgrade, however gentoo is much nicer than binary distributions when it comes to upgrades.

I'm not sure I fully agree with this. Debian has been very well behaved when it comes to upgrades if you're following a more conservative branch. And I've done this quite a few times in FreeBSD with few problems. But that's neither Linux nor a binary distribution.

Alain