Re: [tlug] CJK Printing from Web Browsers in Debian 3.3.2

Bart Mathias <mathias@example.com> writes:

[...]

> Recently I trashed all my Mozilla stuff in a freak accident.  When I
> reinstalled Thunderbird and Firefox, Mozilla Suite came along for the
> ride (apparently Firefox always ends up in ~/.mozilla?), but I never
> looked at it until yesterday, after trying some of the suggestions in
> last November's thread.  I first took a look at prefs.js, and was
> surprised to find that it contained only about four lines, none of
> particular interest to my problem.  Nevertheless, I ran the browser,
> Googled 日本語 and printed the top of the resultant page.  It printed
> in Japanese script.  Then when I looked at prefs.js again, it was full
> of "user_pref" stuff, including
>
> user_pref("print.printer_PostScript/LC24-100.print_command", "lpr
> ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+'-P'}${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME}");
>
> This was odd, because the OP of last November's thread had solved his
> problem by changing the "lpr" in that to "kprinter."  I had already
> tried that suggestion, and it didn't work.
>
> Thunderbird has just "kprinter" without the ${MOZ_ ... stuff.

I opened Mozilla Thunderbird to test this.  (I have never used it
before).  It is version 1.5.0.7 (20060922), on Ubuntu Dapper.  I wrote a
draft email with the word 日本語 in the body, and when printed, it came
out correctly.

In my home directory I found
~/.mozilla-thunderbird/g6iasd57.default/prefs.js which has:

user_pref("print.printer_CUPS/ML9300.print_command", "lpr ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+'-P'}${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME}");

You can see the whole file here [1].  (I removed parts about mail
servers).

HTH,

Evan

[1] http://www.obakechan.net/c0zHMK74y5f3Idr/prefs.js