[tlug] Becoming Windows Free: Linux Lazer Printers

Hi TLUG'ers,

I have embarked on a mission to completely rid myself of Micro$oft
windows (wish me luck!).

First problem: Printers

A few years back I bought a Canon Laser Shot LBP-1110 laser printer for
my windows laptop.  It works great, but, my Fedora Core 5 machine cannot
use it.  While reading various websites and reading up on several of the
drivers available in Fedora, I have learned that many Canon printers are
big paper weights when it comes to linux.  Does anyone know if my
printer _should_ work?

The other option is buying a new laser printer.  My budget is no more
than JPY 20,000 and I would like it to work _well_ with Fedora.  During
lunch today I walked through Bic Camera looking for new lazer printers,
but how am I to know if they work well with linux (because according to
the guys who work at Bic Camera, they SURELY don't work ;).  Does anyone
have any recommendations for a laser printer within my price range which
will work _well_ with linux?

I looked at the TLUG archives and also checked out
http://linuxprinting.org/suggested.html

More that what I can find on the internet, I am looking for some local
first-hand recommendations and/or knowledge.

Thank you,
Matt