Re: [tlug] How to throttle the network speed

Mauro Sauco wrote:
On 2006/10/30@??:09, <Edward Middleton> wrote:
  > Mauro Sauco wrote:
  > > On 2006/10/30@??:55, <Josh Glover> wrote:

If the sole purpose is to throttle then move to Apache no point on reverse proxying ..

Light footprint + httpd = LightTPD,

Would you add Apache to the equation ? (ROR is Apache friendly)
Personally, no. Why add another engine when the other engine seems to be able to do the job?
http://trac.lighttpd.net/trac/wiki/Docs%3ATrafficShaping

According to a really quick googling, bandwidth shaping features in lighttpd came in a later version so make sure to double check the version you are using on your setup. If you have my type of luck you'll always be two versions behind the version that has the feature that *you need* and have to abandon the package management system and install from source or enjoy the fun of making your own package :)

In regards to throttling speeds you have options at two levels as far as I know:
1. Throttle network connections at the firewall/kernel level.
2. Throttle at the web server layer
3. Throttle at the application layer

I imagine 1 & 2 are far more sensible than #3 at least in Mr Van der Ween's case.

Cheers and good luck,
Alain