Re: [tlug] hard drive shock resiliance and health - linux tools?

> Do *you* want to back up 2.1 *TERA*bytes of data over the internet?

It depends on the data. If most of the data is a video (*) or image
collection then you don't have many options. But if this 2.1TB RAID is
an operating system then it is worth identifying the directories and
file types where there is valuable data, and only backing those up. The
less data you back-up the more frequently you will back it up.

For really valuable data, such as source code, consider encrypting it
and putting on cheap, shared hosting, on a different continent. (I send
an encrypted data DVD to my brother in the U.K. every few months :-).

Darren

*: For home video once I've sucked in the tape to hard disk I then keep
the original DV tape off-site.